The Words Bottled Up Inside

Two years ago I became interested in poetry. I now consider it an art form that I have explored, and that has become a dear friend. It took me awhile to start writing my own poetry, because I never felt inspired. Poetry is style of writing that draws completely from your emotions and senses; it's not always easy to just sit down and write poetry.

When first started writing, my poetry usually stemmed from feelings of anger or jealousy that I didn't want to show. Instead, I would express them through the words on the page. I now have written enough poetry that I've learned to write passionately about things that bring me joy, not just disgust.

 I find it very interesting the writing styles of many poets. From the friends I have who also write poetry, it seems that the feeling or emotion that is almost dormant in their personality, is the one most heavily represented in their poetry. Take me for example, my whole goal in life is to have an optimistic outlook, a joyful persona, and to be able to have a pleasant conversation with anyone and everyone I meet. Now, if you look at my poetry, you see a different side of my personality. It's the deeper, more thought provoking part of myself, that I don't always tend to show. I believe this is why poetry is relaxing to so many people; it's the expression of a  part of themselves that's usually bottled up inside.

The piece above reads, "Write hard and clear about what hurts." That's really what it's all about, except it doesn't always have to be about what hurts. Poetry is an art form of expression, and I encourage everyone to give it a try. 

No comments